Thursday, August 07, 2008

It's Fair Time!!

We're going to the fair all day on Thursday the 14th, as well as on Sunday the 17th, when my grandparents will be inducted into the 4H Hall of Fame. I'm pretty excited about it and have been reading about all the "going-ons" of the fair this year.
Today, I read an article that said the Iowa Heart Center had 8 suggestions for eating healthy at the fair. They were as follows:
  1. Forego the huge turkey leg and instead grab a turkey tenderloin to save about 1,000 calories.
  2. Try the pork chop on a stick instead of sausages or brats.
  3. Have cotton candy rather than a funnel cake.
  4. Choose kettle corn over nachos with cheese.
  5. How about a banana on a stick rather than deep fried candy bar.
  6. There's a pork loin sandwich to eat over a fried pork tenderloin.
  7. Eat a crunchy caramel apple rather than a fried cheese curds.
  8. Have roasted corn on the cob rather than a corn dog.

I've been trying to eat more fruits and veggies, less meat and less processed foods lately - specifically High Fructose Corn Syrup (but that's a whole 'nother entry.) However, I can't say that many of these suggestions sounded like good ideas to me. I could maybe handle #1, because I can go either way on the huge turkey legs. And #2 is fine with me, because we always hit up the Pork Chop on Stick stand anyways. But there's no way I'm skipping funnel cakes or the deep fried candy bars. Many other suggestions include substituting something grilled or roasted for something fried. The problem is, fried=tasty.

I'll just hope that eating poorly for a day won't be the end of the world for my lifelong health...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are actually amazing suggestions and honesty in that someone is going to want to eat their food, but then how to do so wisely. AND! What are your grandparents being inducted for? That is awesome, congrats to them!