Thursday, November 02, 2006

A Lesson on Pronunciation

My wonderful husband has taught me a great trick on explaining to people how to pronounce our last name. The spelling is still tricky (refer to prior blog entry), but I feel like I have a chance when trying to explain the pronunciation. So here goes. Pay attention!!

Mortvedt: "More" not less and "Tweet" like a bird, "More-Tweet"

I think it's funny how few people even want to attempt to pronounce it, especially if they've never heard it. When I was at the bank changing things around today, the banker asked me what the origin of "it" was and just pointed at the name instead of trying to say it.

I love being Mrs. "More-Tweet"!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where does the name Mortvedt come from (German, Norwegian....)?

Blakely said...

I'm pretty sure it's Norwegian.

Anonymous said...

I also have the last name of Mortvedt. It's origin is Norweigan, but it's pronunciation is different than yours. We pronounce it Mort-(like mortician) and Vet-(like veternarian)