Saturday, July 16, 2005

Optimism Comes Back With Avengeance

My parents have spent about the last 8 months remodeling their kitchen. Towards the end, they asked Aaron to make a custom island. I had the pleasure of helping him out and started referring to myself as "The Cabinet Makers Wife." This weekend I got to become "The Construction Workers Wife." Since Aaron's parents are in Mexico (directly in the path of Hurrican Emily...eeek!!) I became his assistant. I spackled and painted a little bit on Thursday night and tore the carpet tiles out of a small office. I knew we had a big room to tear the carpet out of today, but I wasn't worried, because it had been pretty easy on Thursday. After today, though, I feel like I have scraped enough carpet and glue to last me a lifetime. I have a ginormous blister on my thumb and my hands are cracked and sore. My arms, back, and legs (so basically everything from my chin down) are tense and achy.

It went something like this...The first half of the big room went about the same as the little rooms. A few tiles took a little extra finaggling with, but pretty easy overall. I was taking some carpet out to the dumpster when I made the mistake of turning to Aaron and saying, "We should be able to get this done in no time!!" When I came back in the room, Aaron was working on the same carpet tile as when I left. The last half of the room took every ounce of energy we had and there were several close calls with injury. (Imagine a sharp carpet scraper flying at Aaron's leg or a hammer claw nearing his hand at high speeds...) When we finally got the room done, we were relieved, to say the least. Unforunately, we both had to work at the Hotel tonight.

I made the error of being optimistic, yet again, when I got to work. I was going to be working a small wedding and the meal was a buffet, so I thought it would be a cinch. Wrong again!! We had staff call in sick and we ended up having to serve more tables than is standard and I had to serve the head table in addition!! Talk about stress!! Then, to top it all off, I was the tattle-tale in a case of underage drinking and the guests were not happy with me!!

Today was one of those days that makes me happy to curl up and cuddle at night, so that I can wake up the next day and have a more successful day!!

No comments: