Monday, February 26, 2007

11 days until Mexico!!

Given that the last 3 days of our lives have pretty much been dictated by the weather, I thought I'd give a recap of the effects it's had on Aaron and I.
  • I woke up at 5:00 AM on a Saturday morning and couldn't get back to sleep, because I was worried about Aaron making it to work safely.
  • Many of the celebrations planned for Aaron's grandma's 90th birthday had to be cancelled due to the weather. We didn't make it to the "Fern Food Fest" (potluck with her 'signature' dishes) on Saturday or lunch on Sunday. We did go down to Ankeny for cake on Sunday afternoon, but were unsure of whether our car was on the road or not about 50% of the time. Luckily, Aaron stayed outwardly calm and kept up safe!!
  • We woke up at 4:45 AM on Sunday morning to the sound of a large tree branch crashing down. After determining that it didn't hit our house, we were able to go back to sleep. However, when a second branch crashed down at 6:50 AM, we were up for the day. That one did brush the side of our house, but the main part of the branch missed us and didn't do any damage.
  • We were provided with endless fun watching the dogs play in the snow.
Every time they came in, the boys would be covered with snow. It's a lot easier to see on Steve since he's darker. I was always reminded of the "Family Guy" episode where Brian became addicted to Cocaine, because they always had a bunch of white powdery snow on their noses when they came in.
Nick doesn't like to be wet though, so he would crazily rub and roll around on the carpet to dry off.
  • After uncovering both cars and scooping out the driveway, we had a great reason for some extra cuddling. We had to warm up somehow!!
  • About 30 seconds after we moved my car back into the driveway, a huge branch fell off our tree and landed right about where my car windshield had just been. Again, we were very lucky!!
  • The roads were a little shady on the way to campus today, but not too bad. However, when I got to ISU, they hadn't even started clearing the commuter parking lot (at 10 AM!!) and I got stuck. I was following other cars' tracks through the parking lot, but got stuck right as I was about to exit. Others were following the same tracks and were nice enough to help push me out. Then my husband met me at the Memorial Union and gave me a ride from the parking ramp across campus to my first class, so I was only 5 minutes late.
  • R38 (our road from Ames to Slater) completely iced over during the day. As I started my trip home, I saw flashing lights. A deputy told me that they were pulling a car out up ahead, but that the road was complete ice and to be extra careful. That was the start of my 20 mile an hour drive home. The road was completely ice covered about 60% of the time, partially covered about 20% and clear the other 20%. However, I made it home safely!! Hopefully I'll be able to say the same for my husband later tonight!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a weekend! I am so glad that you are both safe through that all! Josh was in Ames yesterday and took a photo of it to show me, looks like a winter wonderland! I only wish we looked like that! :)!