Monday, August 01, 2005

I guess most people choose "Not to work"

Friday night, when I got done working, some of my co-workers invited me over to one of my co-worker's (John's) to get "wasted." I turned them down, much to their dismay. The next day at work, they were all complaining about how hungover they were, but upon leaving that night, decided to go back over to John's to get wasted again. The next morning, as I was getting ready for work, Aaron called me and told me I might want to bring my serving gear, because 5 people didn't show up for work. (Background info: Normally, on Sundays, I cashier at our Sunday Brunch. We also have a host and 5-6 servers.) Given that 8 people were supposed to show up for work, 3 people showing up is not a good percentage. I happened to calculate it and only 37.5% of the staff showed up yesterday.

Now, I don't want anyone to think that this is a 'poor me, I had to work so hard' entry, because yesterday was great!! I got to work with my boyfriend and one of the few people that I actually like at work. The three of us worked really well together and helped eachother with our tables. We each made over $100 in tips and I never once felt like complaining about the people I was working with!!

My biggest problem with the whole situation is that 3 of the people who didn't show yesterday were what we call "No call, no shows," but the only punishment they got was a 3-shift suspension. What kind of a place lets people who just don't show up for their shifts keep their jobs?!? I have a feeling that this is just going to create a whole slew of people who just don't show up or show up late, and they'll get away with it!!

If anyone can explain to me what goes on in the mind of a "No call, no show" that makes it okay to that person, please, enlighten me!! Also, if you're in the Ames area or planning on being and would like to go out to a nice dinner at Audubon's Steak and Chop House, the restaurant at the hotel where I work, let me know and I'll get you a business card that'll get you a free appetizer. It will also help me win a contest and get tickets to the Iowa vs. Iowa State game. (Just a little plug for my own sake!!)

I'm off to be arts-and-craftsy now. I plan on making myself a gold star to wear to work tomorrow. (Yes, I'm serious!!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You deserve a gold star woman! Good job!